He's officially official.
Bear had his "mapping" done today to prepare for radiation. It was an 8AM appointment and I had planned to take the little kids to before school care so I could meet Berek at the cancer center. One of the hard parts about not having told anyone anything yet is the lack of understanding or grace in certain situations. Our kids NEVER go to daycare and didn't want to wake up super early to just sit at the school for an hour, and I didn't have a really great reason as to why they'd have to, so they pushed back about it.
Needless to say, I didn't make it to the appointment in time (especially because it only took 20 minutes!) and I was crushed to not be there to support Bear, even though he said it was fine. I still continued on my route, thinking I would drive to his work and surprise him with a hug when he made it back to his office, but he mentioned something about having set up a mock crash scene for his AI class earlier this morning. I told him my plan to meet him and he said he'd pull over on the side of the road, wait for me to find him, and I could go with him to the crash scene.
We previously had to tell Bear's sergeant about his condition, since he was taking a lot of unexpected time off for appointments, and Sarge wanted to loop in Bear's captain. Waiting for Captain Goulding to be available took longer than anticipated and one of their MAIT teammates ended up walking into the middle of our conversation, so we filled him in, too. Yesterday, Bear decided to tell the rest of his team, since we knew we'd be scheduling treatment soon.
All of that to say his entire team was at the crash scene and they were all so sweet to me. Bob, his mechanic, gave me a big hug and it's making me cry while typing this because it was such a GOOD and much-needed hug from such a GOOD man who means so much to us. It was fun to see Bear doing his thing and to hang out with his teammates. I took a few pics of the scene, since we never get to see that kind of stuff, and of course I took a pic of us together AND a pic of Bear with his official "cancer card" that will get him in and out of radiation quicker. Radiation is now slated to begin October 28. Woof.
Comments
Post a Comment